ABOUT KAIROS PRISON MINISTRY
By sharing the love and forgiveness of Jesus Christ, Kairos hopes to change hearts, transform lives and impact the world.
The word, Kairos, is a Greek word meaning in God's Special Time or in the Fullness of Time indicating an opportunity for our participants and guests to re-consider their life choices - as hearts are changed, inmates begin to take responsibility for their actions - it's like a front row seat at a miracle - transforming lives and impacting the world.
Kairos Prison Ministry is a lay-led, interdenominational Christian ministry in which men and women volunteers bring Christ's love and forgiveness to prisoners and their families. The Kairos programs take the participants on a journey that demonstrates the love and forgiveness of Jesus Christ. Kairos Prison Ministry is Christian in nature, although no religious affiliation is necessary to be a participant.
The programs involve a structured model that includes the weekend experience, followed by guests or participants gathering regularly for accountability, support, and prayer. By sharing the love and forgiveness of Jesus Christ, Kairos hopes to change hearts, transform lives and impact the world.
As a ministry, Kairos embraces a diverse group of volunteers working together to fulfill Christ's call to action in Matthew 25:36.
“…I was in prison, and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36) .
ENCOURAGING PRO-SOCIAL CHARACTER & BEHAVIOR
The Kairos program incorporates curriculum designed to build and encourage pro-social character and behavior.
Society spends over $60 billion/yr. to keep 2.3 million inmates incarcerated, whereas the Kairos program is offered at no cost to State and Federal Institutions.
It's been said by one participant, "it cost the government $1 million to keep "me" locked up and a $100 program from Kairos set "me" free".
LIVES ARE CHANGED FOREVER
Prison is a dark, hopeless place. Prisoners often live their lives without friends, without family, staring at the prison bars and feeling guilt and anger burning in their hearts. Spouses, parents and relatives of the incarcerated often "do time" right along with their loved ones, feeling alone and guilty. Kairos Prison Ministry brings the light, love and friendship of Jesus Christ into their lives. They know they are forgiven, and they know they are loved. It is truly a life changing, and often life saving experience.
THE IMPACT OF KAIROS & Life after Kairos
- Kairos graduates' recidivism rates can be reduced by 50%. In a study of 505 inmates released from Florida prisons, the recidivism rate was only 15.7% among those who had participated in one Kairos session, and just 10% among those who had participated in two or more Kairos sessions. The non-Kairos control group in the study had a recidivism rate of 23.4%.
- Incarcerated participants who are released re-enter the outside world with a God centered perspective and focus on becoming productive citizens.
- The next generation experiences a change in the family members coming out of prison, who begin to model a lifestyle without crime. The cycle of crime can be broken.
- Female family members find support, strength and encouragement.
- Youthful offenders acquire new God-centered values and change their direction in life.
- Families are reunited with a hope for the future.
A Worldwide Organization
Kairos operates in prisons in 37 U.S. states, and 9 countries: Australia, Canada, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Honduras, Peru, South Africa, and the United Kingdom. 30,000+ Volunteers conduct over 600 Weekends in prisons and communities annually in the U.S. and worldwide.