Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe.” (Hebrews 12:28)
There are many opportunities for you to serve in Kairos Prison Ministry. All we ask is that you have a willing heart and a spirit of obedience and you can play a crucial role in God's ministry of Changing Hearts, Transforming Lives and Impacting the World. Here's some basic information to help you "get involved."
The people of Kairos are called by God to share the love of Christ with those impacted by incarceration. Kairos encourages believers from a variety of Christian traditions to be volunteers in this Christ-filled ministry.
Kairos programs offer to prison residents, their families, and those who work with them, the opportunity to receive God's forgiveness through faith in Jesus Christ, and to grow in their faith and servant hood in Christian community.
WAYS TO SERVE AS A KAIROS VOLUNTEER
Thinking of volunteering for Kairos? We would LOVE to have you join the 30,000 volunteers who are already passionate about our mission!
Become a Team Member
Kairos Prison Ministry volunteers come from all walks and strata of life. They all share a desire to follow Christ's admonition of Matthew 25:36, "I was in prison and you visited me."
There are three programs in Kairos Prison Ministry:
- KAIROS INSIDE - ministering to men and women in prison
- KAIROS OUTSIDE - ministering to women who have been impacted by incarceration
- KAIROS TORCH - which ministers to incarcerated youth in prisons and correctional facilities
Consistency is of the utmost important to the men & women we serve. A commitment to volunteer should be carefully considered as "coming-back" is an important part of the success of our programs. Careful consideration should be given to the time involved to be part of our programs. Below are some estimations of time commitments for volunteers during a year of service:
- Training and Team building of the Volunteer Team - approx 45 hrs
- Other preparation (writing letters, fundraising, making cookies, etc.) - approx 20 hrs
- Program inside the prison - approx 40-45 hrs
- Instructional Reuninon inside the prison - approx 8.5 hrs
- Continuing Ministry - approx 24 hrs (2 hrs per month)
- 2-day retreat - approx 24 hrs
- Travel - approx 35 hrs - assuming 1.5 hours for each meeting
If you feel God's call to minister to men or women in prison, or to women who have been impacted by incarceration as a part of a Kairos team, you may:
- Visit our WHERE WE SERVE page and contact the Advisory Council Chairperson at the location you wish to serve.
- For general information you may also contact our STATE LEADERSHIP team to find out about qualification and training and to be put in touch with the local Kairos community.
- To find out more about volunteer opportunities please visit our CONTACT page to reach out to us, or send submit your request form HERE.
Be a Prayer Partner
Prayer is powerful, and we ask you to join us for a few minutes each week.
All Kairos Ministry activities are covered with prayer. We invite you to join the prayer community and send up your prayer with ours! Please join our team, the Kairos staff, and thousands of volunteers worldwide, pray at:
1:30 pm EST each Tuesday
We pray for every Kairos Weekend coming up that week — by location, by leader, by type of Weekend, and for the prisoners or guests attending. We also pray for the success of all our ministry programs:
We encourage you to make this Tuesday prayer time a regular part of your week.
With your help, miracles can happen!
Be a Ministry Financial Donor
All Kairos activities are funded by donations. If you would like to support this ministry by your donation, please visit our DONATIONS page
Be a Support Volunteer
Each Kairos retreat weekend has opportunities for outside volunteer support, such as baking cookies, creating artwork (agape) or preparing meals.
AGAPE - Many are familiar with the term "Agape Love" which refers to unconditional love or the kind of love that God has for us. In the Kairos ministry programs Agape consists of cookies & brownies, children's artwork and personal letters expressing forgiveness & love. The Kairos teams distribute these items as part of the Kairos weekend to help the men & women participating feel the love of God.
There are plenty of different types of Agape that you can make or purchase to help. There are two types of Agape:
GENERAL AGAPE - This is a great way to bless the entire group of participants of any given Kairos weekend.
- ARTWORK - We are always in need of posters, either created or purchased that express love & forgiveness and your prayer for the group. Posters can be of any size but we do prefer them on paper that can be easily folded & Shipped or 8.5 x 11 letter paper size.
- BAKING - We may need up to dozens and dozens of cookies & treats for a typical Kairos weekend.
PERSONAL AGAPE - If you have a calling on your heart to make a personal investment & make a connection with a participant in the Kairos program. Personal Agape is a way to make a personal connection.
- HAND WRITTEN LETTERS - Please express forgiveness and love in your letter as well as your personal spiritual feeling and prayers for the participant and sign your letter, this creates a great deal of value to the participant. Letters should be submitted folded over one, with the Kairos weekend participants name and #, plus Dorm # on the outside. Please do not put in an envelope we also ask that you don't include any printed tracts, crosses, religious items, scriptures, pamphlets, etc. as these are not are permitted.
- CHILDREN'S DRAWINGS - Children's drawings on 8.5 x 11" paper are always welcome and make a huge impact & especially treasured by the participants. Children should only include thier first name and age only for security purposes.
If you would like to send agape to an upcoming Weekend, please click on a specific Weekend on our KAIROS CALENDER for details on where to send it.